February 07, 2008

Scone or Tea Biscuit? Whatever you call it, it was good!

I’m not much of a baker, nor was I a fan of scones, but when I came across this recipe, I figured I would give them try since the Husband loves baked goods. I was making lunch when these came out of the oven, and they looked so good, I put the lunch stuff away and just had scones instead! I’m so glad I tried them out. Here’s the recipe for you. I hope you find them just as enjoyable as I did.

Lemon-Blueberry Scones




Ingredients:
3¼ cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
¾ teaspoon salt
6 Tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
1 Tablespoon lemon juice plus enough milk to equal 1 cup
1 cup fresh blueberries
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 egg white
2 Tablespoons granulated sugar

Preheat oven to 400. Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl (you can use your stand mixer bowl.) Add the butter and if using a stand mixer, mix on very low for about 3 minutes until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. If you prefer, use a pastry blender or fork. Once butter is combined, gently pour or stir lemon-juice-milk mixture, lemon peel and egg into the dough. Mix for 1 more minute on low or until a doughy mess is formed. Turn off the mixer and remove the bowl. Add the blueberries and mix by hand until the berries are well distributed.

With VERY floured hands, turn dough out onto a floured, parchment lined counter top. Divide the dough in half and pat half of the dough into a 7-inch circle on one end of the parchment paper. Repeat, with remaining dough, spacing 2 inches apart. Brush with egg white; sprinkle with sugar. Cut halfway down but not through each circle, 6 wedges for each round. Slide the parchment paper with dough onto a baking sheet.

Bake for about 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire rack to cool slightly. Pull apart at cut lines. Serve warm or at room temperature on the same day you bake these.

2 comments:

chefs aprons said...

first of all the cookie looks like bread when eaten.

seconds thanks for the recipe. it would add for my collection.

Unknown said...

Wow! Seems yummy. Though, I'm not fond of scones, eh. Well I can give it a try though. :)

Truly
Peny@blood pressure device